Our 6-7 month trip is coming to an end, and we have had the most amazing time! Lots of ups and downs, lots of last minute plan changes and we have all grown so close.
We have all learnt so much as a family and as individuals, and we are very grateful to be able to experience everything that we have, we feel very lucky.
Here are some things that me and Glen have learnt:
- Never plan ahead just take each day as it comes
- Possessions are not important
- Life is for living and loving
- You only live once
- Take risks
- It’s important to say “I love you” everyday
- Surround yourself with people who are happy and smile alot
- People can be incredibly generous
- Animal therapy is an actual thing, and cuddling a dog, cat, rabbit or petting a horse will make you happy
- It’s always best just to laugh at everything that goes wrong (especially if you break a bed in a lovely hotel)
- You will never get 1 minute to yourself when travelling with your children
- You can love and hate your children at the same time
- Our girls are more demanding and strong willed than we realised, and could probably run for prime-mister one day.
- You can teach maths pretty much anywhere everyday, using sugar sachets, counting objects under water, and lift buttons
- There is never a “language barrier” when you are a pro at charades….
- ….And you have google translate
- Booking.com will take your money regardless if you like your hotel or not
- Americans’ and Thais’ are the happiest people we have met on our travels
- Baths, dressing gowns and Yorkshire puddings are missed everyday (by Gemma)
- Glen has learnt how to play the ukulele
- The girls are now ready to settle somewhere for a while
What Ellie and Maisie have Learnt:
- To swim like mermaids
- They have both learnt how to belly surf and now they want to learn to do real surfing
- Both learnt how to horse ride
- Leant how to fish, gut and cook a fish
- How to feed a baby goat
- How to make friends and play with children from all over the world with out worrying about language. They have friends from China, India, Thailand, Japan, France, Russia, Netherlands, Germany, America, Fiji, New Zealand….
- How to say hello, goodbye and thank you in many languages
- How to get used to change and constant moving around, nothing fazes them now!
- How to pose for photos around 5 times a day for Indians, Thais And Chinese as they love their skin and hair colour!
- Learnt how to say goodbye without getting upset
- How to get used to only having a small bag of cheap 7-11 plastic toys
- Both can now walk for 3-4 miles with out complaining
- Both have tried new foods and realised they like new things
- Both of them are a lot closer as sisters than they were before we left
- Both of them want cats, dogs, rabbits, horses as pets, they have a list…
- Academic Lessons America– History, Cowboys, Tectonic Plates and mountains, astronomy, weather, wildlife, art, music
- Academic Lessons New Zealand– earth quakes, tectonic plates, and Thermal activity, wildlife, the sun and the moon
- Academic Lessons Thailand– Language, friendships, religion, culture, cooking and food, swimming,
- I’m sure they have learnt so much more than this list!
But now it’s time for a new adventure, in a new country with a different language that we have been practicing as much as we can!
Keep reading our blogs to find out what we are doing next!
Love Gem, Glen, Ellie and Maisie